A History of Honors and Excellence
EDUCATION, LICENSES AND PRFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS, AND WORK EXPERIENCE
B.S.B.A, with Honors, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville-1973
M.B.A, with High Honors – Number One in class- 4.0 GPA, Walton School of Business, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville-1975. Bill was a awarded a graduate assistant while obtaining his MBA.
J.D., with Honors, the University of Arkansas Bowen School of Law. Member of Law Review; published Article in Law Journal; wrote one or more top payers each semester in law school -1981
C.P.A. – 1975 (now inactive)
Standards of Recognition in the field of Tax Law-1986. Passed the written exam and the five year experience requirement in the field of tax law to meet the Standards of Recognition in the field of Tax Law. (The Arkansas Supreme Court discontinued its support of the standard of recognition in all fields of law.)
Martindale–Hubbell A/V– Awarded the highest possible Martindale-Hubble distinction by both peers and the Judiciary as having the highest rating for ability and ethics since 1985.
LICENSES AND PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
Licensed to Practice before:
• the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
• the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
• the United States Supreme Court
• the United States Tax Court
• the Internal Revenue Service
• Registered to practice before the Department Appeals Board for Medicare Appeals
Bill is a Member of the Arkansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Health Law Section, Tax Section and Business Law Section)-ABA
- American Institute of Certified Public of Accounting-AICPA
- Arkansas Society of Certified Public Accountants-ASCPA
- Central Chapter of the Arkansas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Health Care Financial Management Association – HFMA
- American Health Lawyers Association since its inception
- AHLA the Health Care Compliance Association – HCCA
- 1975 – 1978 Worked in the Chief Financial Officer’s Department in the Corporate Headquarters of Hospital Affiliates International, Inc. (HAI) in Nashville, Tennessee, which later merged into Hospital Corporation of America, now named HCA Healthcare, Inc. (HCA). Both companies had their corporate headquarters located in Nashville, Tennessee, and were listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Bill Marshall’s first employer placed him in the Chief Financial Officer’s Department of Hospital Affiliates International, Inc. (HAI) located in Nashville, Tennessee, which was listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). In that department, Bill and others in the Department were responsible for:
• the financial analysis required to determine the purchase price that HAI should pay for a hospital.
• the development of the financial standards for each hospital’s department to operate on a financially sound basis (many of which became the standards in the hospital industry today).
• the development of the monthly operating report forms that each of HAI’s hospital would submit to the home office which illustrated the reasons for variance from actual operation results to budgeted amounts by department.
• the development of flexible budget packages to be used by the company’s’ hospitals.
• other financial matters, such as actually traveling to some of the company hospitals to develop the budget and assist these hospitals with a variety of financial issues.
- 1978 – 1981 Assistant CFO and later CFO of one of one of HCA’s largest owned hospital located in Little Rock, Arkansas, a 342 Bed Acute Care Hospital.
HAI later merged into Hospital Corporation of America, (HCA), whose corporate office was also located in Nashville, Tennessee. After working at HCA’s corporate headquarters, he asked to be returned to Arkansas to work as first Assistant Chief Financial Officer and later Chief Financial Officer of one of HCA’s largest owned hospital, Doctors Hospital, a 342-bed acute care hospital in Little Rock, Arkansas. As Chief Financial Officer of Doctors Hospital, he was responsible for the entire financial operation of the hospital.
- 1981 – 1985 Partner of House Holmes & Jewell, one of the oldest and most prestigious corporate law firms in Little Rock Arkansas, at that time (second largest in the State of Arkansas with about a 100 year history).
As a partner of House Homes & Jewell, Bill worked in the Tax, Healthcare, and Corporate/Banking working groups. House Holmes & Jewell became insolvent as result of some poor financial decisions that were made by senior management.
- 1985 – 2014 One of the founding partners of Robinson, Staley, Marshall & Duke, P.A. Firm dissolved in 2014.
Bill voluntarily resigned as a partner at House Holmes & Jewell due to his disagreement of its senior partners’ future financial decisions and with the expectation that House Holmes & Jewell would become insolvent. After leaving House Holmes & Jewell he started a solo practice. After House Holmes & Jewell became insolvent, about 18 mos. after Bill resigned as a partner, a few of the senior partners at House Holmes & Jewell joined Bill, and they formed Robinson, Staley, Marshall & Duke, P.A. This firm was dissolved after almost 30 years due to death of Robert L. Robinson, Jr., and the age of the partners. At Robinson, Staley, Marshall & Duke, P.A., Bill’s practice included such areas as Health Law, Tax Law, Real Estate Law, Corporate Law and Banking Law.
- 2014-Present William T. Marshall, PLC, Email: email@example.com Web: https://billmarshalllaw.com. Office: (501) 372-1322. Mobile: (501) 786-4007.